Unit History: HM Dockyard Chatham

HM Dockyard Chatham
Chatham Dockyard was originally called Jillingham Dockyard in 1567 it changed its name to Chatham. It’s first dry dock was built in the 1600’s.
Attacked and burnt by the Dutch in 1667 the Docks recovered and in 1759 one of Chathams most famoust ships HMS Victory was laid down.
In later times Chatham saw the construction of the C class submarines.
HMS Hermione was the last vessel in 1983 to leave Chatham.
The yard was finally closed in 1984.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait