Unit History: HMSEdinburgh
HMS Edinburgh was one of the final sub-class of two Town-class light cruiser of Britain’s Royal Navy. Along with the nine other vessels of the Town class, Edinburgh saw a great deal of combat service during World War II, especially in the North Sea and the disastrous Norwegian campaign.
Edinburgh was built in Newcastle-upon-Tyne by Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson, her keel laid down on 30 December 1936. She was a fast cruiser, displacing 10,635 tonnes, and with an intended sea speed of 32.25 knots, reaching a maximum speed of thirty-three knots.
Her armament was fairly substantial, with twelve 6 inch guns, twelve (later eight) 4 inch guns, sixteen 2 pdr pom pom guns, sixteen Vickers anti-aircraft guns of varying calibres. Also, she carried six 21 inch torpedoes in a pair of triple racks, giving her an added punch.
Edinburgh was designed as a very modern vessel, equipped with an impressive radar array and fire-control systems, and the ability to carry up to three Supermarine Walrus seaplanes for reconnaissance, though she usually carried only two.
Edinburgh was launched on 31 March 1938, and was immediately attached to the 18th Cruiser Squadron at Scapa Flow, in Scotland, as part of the British Home Fleet. For a time, she was assigned to patrol between Iceland and the Faroe Islands, but in 1939, she was transferred to the 2nd Cruiser Squadron, serving with the Humber Force.