Unit History: RAF Kirkham

RAF Kirkham
RAF Kirkham was built by George Wimpey on 220 acres of land bordering the A583 Blackpool to Preston Rd. Work commenced in 1939 and the camp opened in 1940 as a training camp for RAF tradesmen. Up to 1945 it trained 72,000 British and allied service men and women. In November 1941 Kirkham became the main armament training centre for the RAF, with 21 different trades and 86 different courses on equipment and weapons varying from 22 riffles to 75mm guns.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait