Unit History: RAF Pucklechurch

RAF Pucklechurch
RAF Pucklechurch opened on the 9th August 1939 as No.11 Balloon Centre. The Head Quarters for its three Balloon Barrage Squadrons.
 
Sheds for the construction of barrage balloons can still be seen at Pucklechurch; by the Industrial Estate and Detention Centre
 
During World War II there was a barrage balloon depot. There was a Royal Air Force station at Pucklechurch from 1952 to 1962, when the site was transferred to HM Prison Service. It was used as a remand centre and later became Ashfield Young Offender Institution.
 



Added on 03/03/2011

This was an RAF Special Languages School {Russian, Chinese,and others

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait