Unit History: RAF Fassberg

RAF Fassberg
The former Royal Air Force Station Fassberg, more commonly known as RAF Fassberg, was a Royal Air Force airbase in Germany situated in the northern suburbs of Fassberg, Lower Saxony.
 
The RAF disestablished the station and was closed down in January 1957, formally handed over from the 23 LAA RAF Regiment to the German Air Force.
 
Fassberg was returned to the Bundeswehr, and is now the "Fa?berg Army Air Base", and home to the German Army Aviators Corps "Army Aviators Light Transport Helicopter Regiment 10".
 
Fassberg squadrons
No. 5 Squadron RAF; - flying de Havilland Venom
No. 11 Squadron RAF; - flying de Havilland Venom
No. 14 Squadron RAF; - flying de Havilland Mosquito, then de Havilland Venom
No. 26 Squadron RAF;
No. 98 Squadron RAF; - flying de Havilland Mosquito, then de Havilland Venom
No. 112 Squadron RAF; - flying de Havilland Vampire FB5
No. 118 Squadron RAF; - flying de Havilland Vampire, later the de Havilland Venom
No. 266 Squadron RAF; - flying de Havilland Vampire, later the de Havilland Venom
23rd Light Anti-Aircraft Battery



Added on 19/04/2010

As well as flying Squadrons the base consisted of No1 Wing RAF Regiment this was made up from 22 LAA Squadron, 23 LAA Squadron and 57 LAA Squadron. 22 & 23 Squadron were ground to air firing with Bofors, and training practice was done at Todendorf not far from Keil.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait