Stracathro came under the Control of RAF Montrose for almost its entire life. The first recorded use was in July 1941 when a squadron of Masters. This site was originally planned as a relief landing ground. Soon after opening the site had a fatal crash of a Master.
When 2 FIS (Flying Instructors School) took over at Montrose in January 1942,The RLG remained in operation. The Site had around 200 Personnel normally and they were shuttled here each day from Montrose.
No 1541 Blind Approach Training was formed here in April 1943. In December 1943 an Oxford and Hurricane collided over the field killing two in the Oxford.
The site was used until July 1948 as a storage site and then Closed down.