Unit History: RAF Marham
Originally called Royal Naval Air Station Narborough, Narborough aerodrome was originally opened in August 1915 as a night flying landing ground for RNAS Great Yarmouth, a few miles from the boundary of the present day RAF Marham. In 1916 the aerodrome was handed over to the Royal Flying Corps. The aerodrome was closed in 1919 when the last units moved out, today, little remains of the original airfield structures.
In 1935 work started on a new airfield, this became active in 1 April 1937, with a resident heavy bomber unit from within 3 Group, RAF Bomber Command. The first squadron, No 38, arrived in May 1937 with Fairey Hendon bombers. In June No. 115 Squadron RAF re-formed at Marham with Handley Page Harrows while 38 Sqn received Wellington I bombers in December 1938, followed in 1939 by 115 Squadron.
During March 1944, Marham closed for the construction of new concrete runways, perimiter track, and dispersal areas, marking the end of wartime operations at Marham.
Post World War II the airfield was home to RAF units operating the Boeing Washington aircraft, the Vickers Valiant and Handley Page Victor. The station is also one of the few large enough for the operation of the Boeing B-52 and a number of these aircraft visited on exercise in the 1970s and 1980s.
During 1977 24 Hardened Aircraft Shelters were constructed to house future strike aircraft, which would eventually see the arrival of the Panavia Tornado in 1982. These shelters were equipped with the U.S. Weapon Storage Security System (WS3), each able to store 4 WE.177 nuclear bombs.
No. 138 Expeditionary Air Wing (EAW) formed at Marham on 1 April 2006 encompassing most of the non-formed unit personnel on station. The EAW does not include the flying units at the station.
No. 12 Squadron RAF 1993-1994 operating Panavia Tornado
No. 15 Squadron RAF 1950-1951 operating Avro Lincoln
No. 27 Squadron RAF 1983-1993 operating Panavia Tornado
No. 35 Squadron RAF 1951-1956 operating Boeing Washington,English Electric Canberra
No. 38 Squadron RAF 1937-1940 operating Fairey Hendon, Vickers Wellington
No. 39 Squadron RAF 1993-2006 operating English Electric Canberra. Disbanded on 28 July 2006, ending 55 years of RAF Canberra operations.
No. 44 Squadron RAF 1946-1951 operating Avro Lincoln, Boeing Washington
No. 49 Squadron RAF 1961-1965 operating Vickers Valiant
No. 51 Squadron RAF 1917-1919 operating RAF FE.2b
No. 55 Squadron RAF 1966-1993 operating Handley Page Victor
No. 57 Squadron RAF 1951-1951 operating Avro Lincoln, Boeing Washington
No. 90 Squadron RAF 1950-1956 operating Avro Lincoln, Boeing Washington, English Electric Canberra
No. 100 Squadron RAF 1976-1982 operating English Electric Canberra
No. 105 Squadron RAF 1942-1944 operating De Havilland Mosquito
No. 109 Squadron RAF 1943-1944 operating De Havilland Mosquito
No. 115 Squadron RAF 1937-1941 operating Fairey Hendon, Handley Page Harrow, Vickers Wellington
No. 115 Squadron RAF 1950-1957 operating Avro Lincoln, Boeing Washington, English Electric Canberra
No. 139 Squadron RAF 1942-1943 operating De Havilland Mosquito
No. 148 Squadron RAF 1956-1965 operating Vickers Valiant
No. 149 Squadron RAF 1950-1950 operating Avro Lincoln
No. 207 Squadron RAF 1951-1956 operating Boeing Washington, English Electric Canberra
No. 207 Squadron RAF 1956-1965 operating Vickers Valiant
No. 214 Squadron RAF 1956-1965 operating Vickers Valiant
No. 214 Squadron RAF 1966-1977 operating Handley Page Victor
No. 218 Squadron RAF 1940-1942 operating Vickers Wellington, Short Stirling
No. 242 Squadron RAF 1959-1964 operating Bristol Bloodhound
No. 617 Squadron RAF 1983-1994 operating Panavia Tornado GR1
No 232 OCU operating Handley Page Victor K2