Unit History: RAF Lossiemouth
Originally established as an RAF station, after the second world war the airfield was handed over to the Royal Navy and the station was renamed HMS Fulmar. The Royal Naval air station was returned to the Royal Air Force on 28 September 1972. As noted, the base is currently home to a number of Tornado squadrons including the famous 617 ’Dambuster’ Squadron. Coincidentally, 29 modified Lancaster bombers from No. 617 Squadron and No. 9 Squadron, left RAF Lossiemouth for Norway on 12 November 1944 to bomb the German battleship Tirpitz. Each of the aircraft was loaded with a single Tallboy bomb. The Tirpitz was located at a range of twenty miles and opened fire on the squadrons when the aircraft were thirteen miles away. One of the Lancasters was shot down. All of the remaining aircraft managed to get their bombs away – three of which hit their target. Within 10 minutes of the first hit, the Tirpitz had capsized.
No. 140 Expeditionary Air Wing (EAW) was formed at Lossiemouth on 1 April 2006 encompassing most of the non-formed unit personnel on station. The EAW does not include any of the flying squadrons. The station commander is dual-hatted as the commander of the wing.
Search for a name in our archive