Unit History: RAF Little Rissington
RAF Little Rissington (EGVL) is a RAF Aerodrome and former RAF station in Gloucestershire, England. It was once home to the Central Flying School, the Red Pelicans and the Red Arrows.
Built during the 1930s, the station was opened in 1938 and closed in 1994. The married-quarters and main technical site were sold in 1996 (the former becoming the village of Upper Rissington), but the aerodrome has been retained by the Ministry of Defence and remains active along with the southern technical sites, under the operational control of HQAC at RAFC Cranwell.
It is now home to; 637 Volunteer Gliding Squadron who provide elementary flying training for Combined Cadet Force and Air Training Corps cadets; the Home Office Experimental Still-Air Fire Test Facility; and the aviation maintenance company, Devonair. The airfield is also used by the forces as a relief landing ground, training area and parachute dropping area.
Search for a name in our archive