Unit History: RAF Gutersloh

RAF Gutersloh
The former Royal Air Force Station Gutersloh, more commonly known as RAF Gutersloh, was a Royal Air Force Germany airbase, the nearest Royal Air Force air base to the East/West German border. It was constructed by the Germans prior to World War II. The base was captured by the Americans in April 1945 it was handed over to the RAF in June 1945 as Headquarters No. 2 Group RAF.
 
During its history as an RAF base, it was home to two squadrons of the English Electric Lightning F2/F2A - No. 92 Squadron RAF and No. 19 Squadron RAF from 1968 to 1976. It then became home to No. 3 Squadron RAF and No. 4 Squadron RAF flying successive variants of the BAe Harrier. After the Harriers left, the RAF continued to operate helicopters, No. 18 Squadron RAF with the Boeing Chinook and No. 230 Squadron RAF with the Puma HC1.
 
18 squadron Wessex left R.A.F Odham in 1969 for R.A.F. Gutersloh and disbanded in 1980 when 230 squadron took over
Date Disbanded: 1980
 

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait