Unit History: RAF Murlough Bay
The site chosen for RAF Murlough Bay was a green field site on a plateau overlooking the sea one and a half miles south west of Murlough Bay on the Antrim coast in Northern Ireland. The station was to be equipped with six 60A consoles, one 61 console and two video map un its. The proposed completion date for the station was April 1956.
A ’small’ VHF transmitter block with a 90’ tower was to be built at ID191413 with a ’small’ VHF receiver block with a 90’ tower at ID187415 at Crockanore one and a half miles west of the technical site.
Despite the large outlay, the station had a very short operational life being reduced to inactive status by 1958.
Search for a name in our archive