Unit History: RAF Dishforth
RAF Dishforth (IATA: N/A, ICAO: EGXD) is a Royal Air Force/British Army station in North Yorkshire, England. It is currently an Army Air Corps helicopter base and a Relief Landing Ground for RAF Linton-on-Ouse. The RAFGSA (Royal Air Force Gliding and Sailplane Association) Cleveland Gliding Club operates from there. It is located next to the A1(M) at Junction 49 with the A168. RAF Dishforth is built over part of the Great North Road which is also the old A1.
Dishforth opened in 1936. At the beginning of the Second World War it became part of 4 Group, Bomber Command, and was used for recruit training. Armstrong Whitworth Whitley bombers were flown from there in 1940. Between 1943 and 1945 the station was used by No. 6 (RCAF) Group RAF Bomber Command and was a sub-station of RAF Topcliffe. Immediately after the war the station was used to convert aircrew to the Douglas Dakota transport aircraft.
Dishforth was transferred from the RAF to Army Air Corps use by No 9 Regiment AAC.
Dishforth was the first base to receive the Apache helicopter, and had 16, divided between 2 squadrons. There is also a support squadron of Lynx Mk.7 helicopters.Following a reshuffle of AAC units in 2006/2007 Apaches were concentrated on Wattisham Airfield in Suffolk,Dishforth now having Lynx/Gazelle.
Search for a name in our archive