Unit History: RAF Bruntingthorpe
The station was opened in 1942 as home of 29 Operational Training Unit operating the Vickers Wellington. Bruntingthorpe was not used between 1946 and 1957 when it transferred to the United States Air Force as a satellite of RAF Alconbury. New longer runway was built at the 1959 the 100th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command moved in operating the Boeing B-47 Stratojet. From August 1959 the 19th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron was based operating the Douglas RB-66B. RAF Bruntingthorpe was closed when the USAF left in 1962.
The airfield is now Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome and the home of the airworthy Avro Vulcan XH558. It is also home to the Lightning Preservation Group whose pair of Lightning F6s can be seen carrying out fast taxi and take off runs on open days.
Search for a name in our archive