Unit History: RAF Abingdon

RAF Abingdon
The base was opened in 1932, initially as a training station for RAF Bomber Command. It continued in this role through World War II. From 1940 to 1942, Abingdon’s station commander was Herbert Massey.
 
After World War II RAF Abingdon became part of RAF Transport Command, and also the home of 1 Parachute Training School. On 14 June 1968 a royal review was conducted at RAF Abingdon by Queen Elizabeth II to mark the 50th anniversary of the RAF
The station was closed in December 1992. It was taken over by the British Army and renamed Dalton Barracks

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait