Unit History: Radio School Madley

Radio School Madley
RAF Madley Radio School was acquired at the end of 1940 in response to a need for training bases away from the threat of German bombers. Entering operation whilst still under construction the 3.5 square mile site, one of the largest RAF bases in Britain, was soon providing training for both Ground and Air crew. The main courses were in Morse and Wireless operation, in flight practice being carried out in Dominie and Proctor aircraft. The base also developed a mountain rescue unit to retrieve crashed and downed crews in the Brecon Beacons and elsewhere. But training covered a multitude of other areas too, such as surviving ditching at sea, jungle warfare, street fighting, how to escape if captured and much besides.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait