Center Col: Unset
Col Margin: Unset
Col Status: Unset
Mouse over button or menu: Unset
Home Btn Pos X (Left), Y (bottom): Unset
Mouse X, Y: Unset

Recommend this page to a friend:




On a mobile device? Try our mobile site

Unit History: 53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry Anti Tank Regiment

53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry Anti Tank Regiment
This unit was initially titled: Worcestershire Yeomanry
 
Worcestershire Yeomanry was formed in 1794, as volunteer cavalry in 1794, during the French Revolutionary Wars.
 
In 1887, Queen Victoria altered the title of the regiment which was for the future to bear the designation of the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars.
 
To see the history of the Yeomanry Regiment please Click here:
 
 
Between the First and Second World Wars
 
The Regiment returned from Palestine in 1919, under strength but were quickly reformed and brought up to strength.
 
The post-war reorganisations of the Territorials made most of its Yeomanry Cavalry Regiments surplus to requirements and in early 1922 it was announced that the Worcestershires were to become a Royal Artillery Regiment.
 
Tasked to provide two batteries of horsed field artillery along with two batteries of the Oxfordshire's this would form 100th Field Brigade Royal Artillery and again in 1938 would re-title, please read on:
 
53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry Anti-Tank Regiment R.A.
 
This Artillary Regiment was formed from:
 
Worcestershire Yeomanry
 
Worcestershire Yeomanry was formed in 1794, as volunteer cavalry in 1794, during the French Revolutionary Wars.
 
In 1887, Queen Victoria altered the title of the regiment which was for the future to bear the designation of the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars.
 
 
By 1938 the Regiment was converted into an Anti Tank Regiment. Its eighteen-pounders were replaced by two-pounders and the Regiment re-titled to 53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry Anti-Tank Regiment R.A.
 
This Regiment consisted of four batteries;
 
209 Stationed at Kidderminster
210 and 212 Stationed at Kings Heath
211 Stationed at Bewdley.
 

53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry Anti Tank Regiment during WW2

May 10, 1940 saw the German attack begain in France, the British Army advanced across the Belgian frontier, taking positions on the River Dyle. The British Commanding General, Lord Gort, was aware of the possibility of a northward retreat to the coast and used the 48th Division to cover the 28 miles of the La Bassee Canal.

Their purpose was to protect the western flank of the British Army by holding strongpoints such as canal crossings. Large enemy losses were inflicted by the 210 battery together with troops of the 211 in support of the Royal Warwickshires who were holding the town of Wormhoudt.

Orders were received from Brigade to destroy their guns and vehicles and proceed to Dunkirk. Near Oost-Cappell the 212 Battery defended the crossroads against German tanks, some of which were destroyed, until being forced to withdraw after disabling their guns and vehicles.

Each battery had been ordered to escape to Dunkirk, but only five officers and 284 men of the Regiment were evacuated from the beaches of Dunkirk in Operation Dynamo. The Regiment had, however, gained the distinction of having destroyed more enemy tanks than any other anti-tank Regiment.

In August 1943 the Regiment was attached to the 6th Airborne Division, and become its field artillery regiment, once again the unit was Re-roled and Re-titled to:

53rd (Worcester Yeomanry) Airlanding Light Regiment. To view this units continued history, please Click here

Active From: 1938 - 1943

One moment...