Unit History: RAF Coningsby

RAF Coningsby
RAF Coningsby was opened in 1940 as a bomber base. No. 106 Squadron arrived in February 1941 and No. 97 Squadron arrived in March 1941. Hard runways was laid in early 1943 in preparations for heavy bombers being stationed, part of 5 Group. No. 617 Squadron were at the base from August 1943-January 1944. Their officers' mess was the Petwood Hotel at Woodhall Spa. 61 Squadron were stationed with Lancasters from February–April 1944. On 12 November, Lancaster aircraft from the base equipped with the Tallboy bomb sank the Tirpitz in Operation Catechism. 175 aircraft were lost during the war.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait