Unit History: RAF Kirmington
Kirmington was first used by No. 15 (Pilots) Advanced Flying School from March 1942, but on October 23 that year the station was transferred to No. 1 Group, Bomber Command when No. 150 Squadron and its Wellingtons arrived from Snaith preparatory to having half of its strength despatched to North Africa. The remaining crews continued on operations and were joined in December by part of No. 170 Squadron from Grimsby, which had suffered a similar fate. Instead of re-building both squadrons, a decision was taken by Bomber Command to amalgamate both under another designation. Thus, on January 27, 1943, No. 166 Squadron was re-born, having last existed as a Handley Page V/1500 heavy bomber squadron in the First World War. No.166 flew Wellingtons until September 1943 and then converted to Lancasters. As Bomber Command continued to expand, No.166 lost its C Flight in October 1944 for the re-forming of No. 153 Squadron. It flew its first raid on October 7 but, as was common practice, as soon as the new unit was fully established it was transferred to a station where more room was available. Thus by the middle of the month it had moved to Scampton. During operations from Kirmington, a total 178 bombers either failed to return or were destroyed in crashes, 51 being Wellingtons and 127 Lancasters.
Kirmington continued as home for No. 166 Squadron until November 1945 when, along with several other bomber squadrons, it was disbanded. From February 1946 the station was put on care and maintenance until relinquished by the Air Ministry to the Ministry of Agriculture in 1953.