Motto Latin: Nocturni obambulamus; ("We prowl by night")
No. 96 Squadron was formed on 8th October 1917 at South Carlton as a training unit of the Royal Flying Corps aircrew. The Squadron was disbanded on 4th July 1918 but was reformed at RAF Wyton on 28th September 1918 as a ground attack squadron of the Royal Air Force.
On 18th December 1940 No 422 Flight, a night fighter unit stationed at RAF Shoreham was renamed to No. 96 Squadron. The unit operated as a night fighter squadron, the squadron's H.Q was located at RAF Cranage in Cheshire. Its area of operations was over Merseyside and the Midlands. During the following 12 months the Squadron was posted to various location in the UK. By June 1944 however it was in Kent and able to provide night fighter defence over the Normandy invasion fleet and beaches. From June 1944 the squadron became involved in countering V-1 flying bombs. On 12th December 1944 the squadron disbanded.
On 30th December 1944 the unit reformed at RAF Leconfield as a transport squadron. In March 1945 it moved to the Far East. The unit saw limited action over the Burma front before the Japanese surrender providing parachute and glider training in India whilst also providing detachments for operations. In April 1946 it moved to Hong Kong. On 15 June 1946 the unit was renumbered No 110 Squadron.
On 17th November 1952 No. 96 Squadron reformed again as a night fighter unit. On 21st January 1959 the unit was renumbered No 3 Squadron, at which point it converted to Gloster Javelins.
ZJ December 1940 - December 1944
6H December 1944 - June 1946
L October 1952 - 1955