Unit History: RAF Holme on Spalding Moor
Opening in August 1941, Holme-on-Spalding Moor was under the control of No1 Group, Bomber Command.
The first units to move in were No20 Beam Approach Training Flight (formed here) with Oxfords and No458 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force with Wellington Mk IVs.
October 1941 saw the Australians of No458 Squadron move in. In 1942 the unit was posted to the Middle East.
76 Squadron was to be the main resident unit until its last mission in March 1945.
Apart from a short stay by 512 Squadron, training crews to fly Dakotas, the base closed and remained on a Care and Maintenance basis until 1952 when No14 Advanced Flying Training School arrived to train pilots due to the Korean war.
1954 saw No14 AFTS move out and the base was transferred to the USAAF as a temporary home until their proposed base at Elvington was converted. The Americans moved out in 1957 and the station was taken over by Blackburn Aviation for testing of the prototype Buccaneer.
Holme-on-Spalding Moor continued with its aviation connections until 1983, where British Aerospace had used it as a satellite to Brough for various aircraft flight testing, when the airfield closed for the last time.
Search for a name in our archive