In August 1914 the battalion was attached to the East Lancashire division and moved to barrow. On 26 October 1914 the battalion landed at Le Harve with attachment to the lines of communication. On 5 May 1915 the battalion was attached to the 149th brigade in the 50th Northumbrian division. On 20th December 1915 the battalion was transferred to the 151st brigade in the same division and then the Jullundur Brigade 3rd (Lahore) division GOC: Brig-Gen E.P. Strickland battles: Festubert and Loos 1915.