Unit History: HQ Allied Air Forces Central Europe (AAFCE)
Allied Air Forces Central Europe (AAFCE) was the headquarters for NATO air forces in Central Europe from 1953 to 1967 and from 1974 to 1993. It was first based at Fontainebleau (France), and originally activated on 20 August 1953. It reported to Allied Forces Central Europe (AFCENT), which in turn reported to Allied Command Europe, headquartered at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe in Belgium. The post of Commander was replaced by Deputy C in C, HQ Allied Forces Central Europe on 1 Mar 1967.
The command was held by five senior Royal Air Force officers:
* 16 Jul 1953 Air Chief Marshal Sir Basil Embry
* 1 Jan 1956 Air Chief Marshal Sir George Mills
* 20 May 1959 Air Chief Marshal Sir Harry Broadhurst
* 1 Mar 1961 ACM The Earl of Bandon
* 1 Dec 1963 ACM Sir Edmund Hudleston
* 1965-66 German General Johannes Steinhoff was Chief of Staff and acting commander
The Headquarters was re-established on June 28, 1974 at Ramstein Air Base, Germany as a principal subordinate command under Allied Forces Central Europe (AFCENT). Ramstein Air Base is located in the German state of Rheinland-Pfalz. Its task was to provide central direction and control for the NATO air forces in the European Central Region through the co-ordination of the two existing headquarters, Second Allied Tactical Air Force (2ATAF), based at Rheindahlen, which covered the northern part of the region, and Fourth Allied Tactical Air Force (4ATAF), based at Heidelberg, which was responsible for the southern area.
Search for a name in our archive