RAF Halfpenny Green began life as RAF Bobbington in 1941. The RAF originally drew up plans for a volunteer reserve centre on the site in 1938 and the following year the required land was requisitioned and the aerodrome was built.
From the beginning it was a training station turning out wireless operators, air gunners, navigators and air bombers, work that carried on for the duration of the Second World War.
It was home to three units during the war, opening on 17th February 1941 as No. 3 Air Observers’ Navigation School (51 Group) with 50 Blackburn Bothas, later to be replaced by Avro Ansons. In fact instructional flying could not start until the following May because of problems with the runways.