Unit History: Royal Corps of Signals
The Royal Corps of Signals (often simply known as the Royal Signals - abbreviated to R SIGNALS) is one of the combat support arms of the British Army. Signals units are among the first into action, providing the battlefield communications and information systems essential to all operations. Royal Signals units provide the full telecommunications infrastructure for the Army wherever they operate in the world. The Corps has its own engineers, logistics experts and systems operators to run radio and area networks in the field. It is responsible for installing, maintaining and operating all types of telecommunications equipment and information systems, providing command support to commanders and their headquarters, and conducting electronic warfare against enemy communications.
The Royal Signals was created in 1920, after Winston Churchill, Secretary of State for War issued a Royal Warrant declaring that there should be a Corps of Signals within the British Army. The origins date back to 1870.
During the Second World War, the corps had over 150,000 members. After the war, the unit took part in several notable campaigns in Palestine, Malaya and the Korean War. The Royal Signals also delivered communications in the Falklands War, the first Gulf War, Kosovo and the second Gulf War. Currently, they are deployed in Cyprus, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan.
All members of the corps wear a blue and white tactical recognition flash on the right arm. The cap badge also features Mercury, the winged messenger of the Gods.