Unit History: G Battery

View Map
G Battery
G Battery was formed in 1801 and was
subsequently named after Captain Mercer.
During the Battle of Waterloo Captain Mercer
refused to withdraw his guns in favour
of maintaining critical fire support. The Battery
has also seen service at the relief of
Lucknow and during the Boer War.
During the Great War it was in action at Arras
and Cambrai. Mercer’s Troop then went on
to fight in Egypt during World War II,
most notably at El Alamein.
In 1962 the Battery became part of 7 Para RHA and
started its affiliation with the 1st Battalion The Parachute
Regiment (1 PARA). G Parachute Battery was the
first UK artillery battery to fire in the Gulf War 2003.
Recently, the battery has deployed with 1 PARA
on operations to Kosovo, Sierra Leone and Macedonia,
all with great success.  The battery returned from a very
successful operational tour to Kosovo (04/05) and
continues to be a strong component within 7 Para RHA.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
1
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait