Motto: “Velocitate Fortis” (“Strong By Speed”)
Royal Air Force No. 195 Squadron was formed at Duxford, Cambridgeshire, on the 16th November 1942 and was equipped with Hawker Typhoons as a ground attack role. After a long training phase at Lancashire, the squadron returned to East Anglia in May 1943 and began armed reconnaissance sorties and fighter sweeps over France until it was disbanded on 15th February 1944 at RAF Fairlop. In the following October of 1944 the Squadron was reformed at RAF Witchford, Cambridgeshire around 'C' Flight of No.115 Squadron as a heavy-bomber squadron equipped with Avro Lancasters which operated from RAF Wratting Common until the end of the war in Europe.
At the end of the Second World War, the squadron was involved in food and supply drops to liberated Holland and transporting home British Prisoners of War from Germany and Italy, before being disbanded on 14th August 1945.
Bases / Locations
RAF Duxford - November 1942:
RAF Hutton Cranswick - November 1942 to February 1943
RAF Woodvale – February to May 1943
RAF Ludham – May to July 1943
RAF Matlaske – July to August 1943
RAF Coltishall – August to September 1943
RAF Fairlop - September 1943 to February 1944
RAF Witchford – October to November 1944
RAF Wratting Common - November 1944 to August 1945