Unit History: 96th Regiment of Foot
The 96th latest formation was raised in Manchester in 1824, having been raised and disbanded 4 times since 1761. It inherited the history and battle honours of its predecessors before providing detachments for convict ships sailing to New South Wales and Tasmania. The Regiment remained in the region until 1849 fighting in the New Zealand Wars (1845–72). In 1849 the Regiment was deployed to India and served under the East India Company and then moved to South Africa in 1863 before returning to India in 1868 for 5 years. In 1874 the Regiment was awarded the title of the 96th (Queen’s Own Germans) Regiment of Foot, acknowledging the origins of the Regiment, from the Minorca Regiment (1798-1818). The Minorca was formed of German-speaking prisoners of war, formerly in Spanish service who fought for the British in the Egyptian Campaign and awarded the title ‘Queen’s Own German’ in 1805 for bravery.
In 1881 the Childers Reform restructured the British army infantry regiments into a network of multi-battalion regiments each having two regular and two militia battalions. The 63rd (West Suffolk) and 96th Regiments of Foot were amalgamated to form The Manchester Regiment.
Search for a name in our archive