Unit History: Royal Marine School of Music
Added on 21/05/2010
Formed in 1903 at Eastney Barracks in Portsmouth. Became an integral part of the corps. The School was moved in 1930 to the Royal Marines Depot in Deal. It then moved all around after outbreak of WW2, with the junior wing based on the Isle of Man and the senior wing in scarborough. Before they both reunited in Burford and was all based back at Deal during 1950. This is when it was officially named the Royal Marines School of Music. Unfortunately in 1989 the IRA planted a bomb inside the School, tragically killing 11 bandsmen and injuring a further 22. Despite this the school remained in Deal until 1996 when it moved to HMS Nelson in Portsmouth, where it remains today. The role of the school is to audition new members of the Royal Marines Band Service, provide them with basic training (seperate from that of the Comandos) and 2 years 8 months of musical training. Today, the school is twinned with the University of Portsmouth and offers a fully funded BMus degree alongside the intense military music course.
Search for a name in our archive