RAF Massingham started life as a satellite grass airfield to RAF West Raynham in September 1940. Crews slept at West Raynham and cycled over every morning. It had 3 runways on the usual ’A’ pattern, the longest of 2,000 yards and two others of 1,400 yards. In April 1944 it was upgraded when concrete runways were built and sufficient accommodation to house the squadrons and up to 800 ground .
Belonging to 2 Group Bomber Command, Blenheim aircraft here played an important part in the Ruhr offensive. It had a range of 300 miles, and could easily reach Germany and coastal ports. Scant attention was paid to the work of 2 Group in the earlier part of the war, writing it off as "Cinderella" Bomber Command.
The airfield was sold in 1958, one of the first done so in this way, and although the present owner farms the land he still uses the runways