Unit History: Army School of Physical Training Aldershot

Army School of Physical Training Aldershot
It was clear during the Indian Mutiny and the Crimean war that the British soldiers were unfit. In 1860, Major Frederick Hammersley took 12 Sergeants from different regiments to Oxford University to train for six months under Mr. Archibald McLaren. They became known as the twelve apostles.
Soldiers training : .
 
The first Army gymnasium was built at Wellington Lines Aldershot in 1866.
 
Since 1860 the APTC has been responsible for the fitness of the British Army, expecially during two World wars. Apart from pictures of different methods of training there are many photos of APTC members who have represented their country in national events and the Olympic Games.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
1
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait