RAF Langtoft was opened in 1942 as a ’final station’ Ground Control Intercept (GCI) station. The other GCI station in the wartime county was at RAF Orby. It continued to contribute to Britain’s air defences after the war and was substantially enlarged during the late 1940s. In the 1950s it was again rebuilt as part of the ROTOR scheme to renew radar stations, coming online in 10 Jul 1953. The station was reduced to care and maintenance in Mar 1958, finally being sold off in the 1960s.
Surviving buildings at the site include the control bunker, unusually for this part of the country above ground, a standard RAF guardhouse on the south side of Langtoft Drain now converted to a house.