Unit History: East Riding Yeomanry
The East Riding Gentleman and Yeomanry Cavalry was disbanded in 1801 then reformed in 1803 as the Grimston Yeomanry Cavalry. Disbanded again in 1814 it then emerged once more in 1902 as The East Riding Yeomanry, a Lancer regiment which was also known as Lord Wenlock’s Horse.
In 1915 the East Riding Yeomanry sailed for Macedonia, but the destination was altered and in November they landed in Egypt. They became part of the Western frontier force in Libya before being transferred to Palestine. From March until October 1917, they fought the 1st and 3rd battles of Gaza, and in November they advanced into the Judean Hills to cut off Jerusalem from the north. The ERY sailed to France in May 1918 and on amalgamation became 102nd (Lincolnshire and East Riding Yeomanry) Bn, The Machine Gun Corps.
After the Great War the Yorkshire Hussars and Dragoons reformed as cavalry regiments, forming the 5th Cavalry Brigade together with the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry. The East Riding Yeomanry reroled to form the 26th Armoured Car Company of the Tank Corps.
In 1939 the East Riding Yeomanry formed two lines. The 2nd Regiment converted to infantry as 10th Bn, The Green Howards and later 12th Bn, the Parachute Regiment. This Battalion took part in the Parachute drop on D-day and continued to fight across France.
Search for a name in our archive