Unit History: RAF Titchfield
Grid ref.SU 530070 RAF anti-aircraft Barrage Balloon Base 1938 to 1945.Non flying unit.
Royal Air Force Titchfield just above the village Titchfield on the A27 is now known as the Plessey site identified by a modern office block but at the back of the site the wartime balloon hangers still exist. During World War II it was No 12 Balloon Squadron and later a rehabilitation unit and pay office. With a staff of 600 personnel, the plant flew tethered hydrogen filled barrage balloons in formation to give protective shields from enemy aircraft.
Search for a name in our archive