Unit History: RAF Weston on the Green
RAF Weston-on-the-Green is a former Royal Flying Corps station that was redeveloped after the great war period. Much demolition took place (including the original 1916/1917 hangars). The former RFC Officers & Sgt’s messes are located on the opposite side of the road, and are now in commercial use. The station is located near the village of Weston-on-the-Green in Oxfordshire, England. The station comes under the control of the nearby RAF Brize Norton. It is used for parachute training for the UK military. The No. 1 Parachute Training School is based at RAF Brize Norton and uses Weston-on-the-Green regularly as a drop zone.
Basic military parachute jumping takes place at RAF Weston-on-the-Green from civilian aircraft that are based on the airfield and more advanced jumping takes place from C-130 Hercules aircraft based at RAF Lyneham.
No military aircraft are based at RAF Weston-on-the-Green. The airfield is only manned part-time by RAF personnel.
There is also a commercial Skydive weston sky-diving club.
RAF Weston-on-the-Green is one of the few remaining active RAF bases with some original pre-RAF buildings.
The airfield was used for the launch of the first hot air balloon in the UK in 1967, called the Bristol Belle and is the home of the Oxford Gliding Club, one of the oldest gliding clubs in the country.
Search for a name in our archive