Unit History: RAF Wunstorf
The Fliegerhorst Wunstorf was built in 1934/1935. In the following years there were mostly HE 111 and JU 52 stationed there. The most famous squadron during the time until 1945 was the Boelke Geschwader. On 7 April 1945 the Fliegerhorst was occupied by the British Army. The same day the first planes of the RAF landed. In the following years there were Typhoon, Tempest, Hastings and Spitfire squadrons based there. Later in 1950 came the Vampire as the first jet plane to land at Wunstorf. It was followed by Venoms, Hawker Hunters and Meteors. For the protection of the airfield there were an Armoured Car Squadron and an AA-Squadron from the RAF Regiment.
From June 1948 until August 1949 RAF Station Wunstorf was used as an important base for the Berlin Air Lift. Mostly Yorks started and landed, day and night, bringing more than 310,000 tons of goods in 38,663 sorties to Berlin.
1950/1951 Little-London ( red bricks ) was built for the airmen and their families ( Tilsiter, Danziger and Breslauer Stra?e ).Later in the Saarstra?e, Wilhelm Raabe Stra?e, Emil Fricke Stra?e and Gustav Freytag Stra?e Great London was built. In this area was the Naafi.
On 7 March, 1958 the Fliegerhorst was handed over to the German Air Force. Even after this date there was RAF personal teaching the Luftwaffe pilots to fly the Pembroke. During the Cold War there were Air Traffic Liason Officers stationed in Wunstorf.
Search for a name in our archive