Unit History: RAF Khormaksar
Originally used in 1917 by the RAF it was enlarged in 1945 as the British were spreading their influence deeper into the Arabian Peninsula. In 1958 a state of emergency was declared in Aden as Yemeni forces occupied nearby Jebel Jehaf and RAF squadrons were involved in action in support of the British Army. In the 1960s during operations around Rhadfan the station was the busiest ever RAF station. It was overcrowded and the station also attracted terrorist ground attacks. In 1966 the newly elected Labour government in the United Kingdom announced that all forces would be withdrawn by 1968. The station closed on the 29 November 1967.
Search for a name in our archive