Unit History: RAF kidlington

RAF kidlington
The airport was originally established in 1935 by Oxford City Council to act as municipal airport, but following RAF use (as RAF Kidlington) during World War II, it became established as a centre for aviation education, charter and maintenance facilities. In 1981, the airport freehold was sold by the council and later owned by BBA Group plc. In July 2007 the airport was sold to property entrepreneurs David and Simon Reuben.
 
In 1941, pioneer aviatrix Amy Johnson crashed in the Thames estuary while on a flight en-route to Oxford Airport from Blackpool.
 
Today, airport activity is split with 35% pilot flight training, 10% business aviation (both private and charter) and the balance being mainly private and recreational general aviation activity.
 

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait