County: Londonderry, Northern Ireland
Location: 2 miles N of Limavady
This Coastal Command station was the first of four airfields to be constructed on the North Coast of Northern Ireland.
1940 : First recorded use was by 502 Sqn Whitleys on anti-submarine patrols. They had the distinction of being the first operational unit to be equipped with the new long range ASV (air-to-surface vessel) radar. Later 224 Sqn Hudsons and 221 Sqn Wellingtons.
In 1942 operational flying ceased for a two year period. Then used as a pilot training centre with Wellington and Ansons.
In 1944 the airfield returned to operational status and 172, 407 and 612 Sqds flew anti-submarine patrols. The airfield will probably be remembered for the high accident rate that saw many airmen lose their lives. In one incident alone in 1943, three aircraft were lost. Bad weather and its proximity to Benevenagh Mountain , accounted for many of these accidents. RAF left in 1945.