Unit History: RAF Cosford

RAF Cosford
RAF Cosford opened in 1938 as a joint aircraft maintenance, storage and technical training unit. It has remained mainly a training unit to this day. The Fulton Mess barrack block was constructed just before WW2 as the largest single building barrack block in the UK. It is now used for technical training.
 
A substantial PMRAFNS hospital was established at RAF Cosford, the most westerly such RAF hospital in the UK. Constructed of wooden spurred hutting the hospital closed in 1976 and was demolished in 1980. For the three summers between 1977 and 1979 the empty hospital formed the venue for annual training camps for the Royal Observer Corps, with wards and theatres converted into barrack accommodation and training rooms.
 
The extensive sports facilities at Cosford, based around a banked indoor running track, became well known nationally through televised annual indoor championships that featured top athletes from all over the world

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait