Unit History: RAF St Margarets Bay
RAF St. Margaret’s Bay was an active radar site from WWII onwards (Type 13 and Type 26 radar were set up here on 24th August 1944) and at one point a Double Monitor Station was set up to try to jam V2 guidance Systems. In 1949 the site transferred from No.90 Group to Fighter Command as a site for Swingate. 1951 saw the CHEL facility renamed as No.1 Signals Unit and in November 1952 Swingate came under the ownership of the unit. This lasted until 1957 when No.345 SU became a seperate command at Swingate.
Search for a name in our archive