The Army first established the Army School of Mechanical Transport (ASMT) at Leconfield in 1977, and resulted from the amalgamation of several military driver training establishments elsewhere in the country. Most notable of these were the Royal Corps of Transport Driver Training Regiment in Aldershot and the Mechanical
Transport Wing of the Army School of Transport in Bordon.
Since 1977, the School has become the largest residential driver training establishment in Europe. It provides courses for Driving Instructors, Driving Examiners, Transport Managers, Instructors for Specialist Vehicles and Training for all the non combat arm signallers in the Army.
The annual throughput of students rose in 1996 to over 11,900 with up to 850 under instruction at any one time. Currently, throughput has reached 14,300 with in excess of 1000 under instruction at any one time. The Gurkha Mechanical Transport School moved from Hong Kong to Leconfield in October 1993; 1994 saw the addition of the Royal Engineers and Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Driver Training Organisations. The Royal Marines Driver Training School was incorporated in early 1995.
The transfer of RAF Driver and Transport Management Training from St Athan to Leconfield took place during the 1996/97 training year. Some civilian instructional staff transferred to DST, the first RAF students having arrived in the summer of 1996. These changes have led to increased employment opportunities at Leconfield. The permanent staff currently number 154 service personnel and 672 civilian employees. There are also some 150 contract staff permanently employed in the Barracks.
In 1996 The School assumed responsibility for training personnel of all three Services, under the new title, the Defence School of Transport (DST).