First became naval air station in 1917 (RNAS). Then it was used as landing ground RAF in 1918. Care & Maintenance 1921. Disembarked carrier aircraft 1925. Commissioned as HMS Merlin 1939. Used by many front line and second line squadrons, by Communications squadron, by RN aircraft Repair Yard (RNARY).
At the end of war housed Office Flag Officer Carrier training. Paid off 1959.