Unit History: Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers
The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers was an infantry regiment of the British Army. The regiment traces its origins to the 17th Century. In Holland in 1674 the government retained two regiments of English troops, two of Scots and one Irish. In 1685 when James II requested their services during the Duke of Monmouth’s rebellion and organised them into two units, given the precedence as the 5th and 6th Regiments of Foot. After Monmouth’s defeat they returned to Holland, but when William III became king of England in 1688 they accompanied him, with their seniority being confirmed from 1685. The 6th were nicknamed "The Dutch Guards" by William. Service in Ireland followed and the regiment became involved in a number of notable campaigns; the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 and Aughrim 1691. Campaigning in Flanders 1692-1695 followed, with action at Steenkirk 1693 and the storming of Namur 1695 which was the 6th’s first battle honour. Including the Napoleonic Wars, the Boer Wars, the two World Wars and the Korean War.
In 1873, they received the title the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
In 1963, the became the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers. Then on the 23rd April 1968, as part of the reforms of the army that saw the creation of the first 'large infantry regiment', The Warwickshire Fusilier Regiment was amalgamated with three other Fusilier regiments; the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Lancashire Fusiliers and the Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment to form The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers