In March 1951, No 202 Advanced Flying Training School (FTS) was formed at Valley, converting
pilots trained on piston-engine aircraft to the more complicated jet fighters. In 1958, No 4FTS arrived at RAF Valley to train fast jet pilots - a role the Station has maintained ever since. Initially flying Vampires, the school re-equipped with Gnats in 1962. These aircraft were supplemented by the arrival of Hunters in 1967 and in 1977 the British Aerospace Hawk took over flying training duties .