Unit History: RAF Grangemouth
Grangemouth was opened on May 1 1939 as the Central Scotland Airport by Air Marshal Trenchard.
Post-war use being restricted to a Gliding School up to 1946 and use by the Tiger Moths of 13 SFS between April 1 1948 and April 19 1949. It was closed in June 1955.
How IT was Used
In 1939 No. 35 E&RFTS with Hawker Harts and DH Tiger Moths and No. 10 Civillian Air Navigation School with Ansons.
1939 to 1941, Airfield used by 602 Sqn Spitfires, 141 Sqn Blenheim and Gladiators and 263 Sqn Hurricanes and 614 Sqn Lysanders.
1940 to 1944, No. 58 Operational Training Unit with Spitfires, from 1942 satellite airfield at Balado Bridge.
In 1943, 58 OTU renamed 2 Tactical Exercise Unit.
In1945-46, Used as a Gliding School,
1948-49, 13 Refresher Flying School with Tiger Moths, then used by RAF Maintenance Command until closure.
Search for a name in our archive