Unit History: RN Air Station Dounreay
Dounreay (RN) (HMS Tern II) Dounreay, Scotland (1944-1954)
It is also called RAF Dounreay.
1944: Built for RAF Coastal Command but not used by them, airfield opened and was then on care and maintenance.
1944 to 1954: Transferred to the Royal Navy as HMS Tern II but not commissioned and on care and maintenance until 1954.
1954 to 2000 : UKAEA power station and research centre, one runway was retained. Dounreay Fast Reactor (DFR), with its famous “dome of discovery” operated from 1959 to 1977, the Prototype Fast Reactor (PFR), a larger model, ran from 1974 to 1994.
Search for a name in our archive