Opened as a satellite to Grangemouth in March 1943 as part of 81 Group. The airfield was home to 58 Operational Training Unit, renamed No. 2 Tactical Excercise Unit 17th October 1943. The unit disbanded 25th June 1944. In Novemeber of that year the site was taken over by the War Department and used until 1952 for scrapping ex-Fleet Air Arm aircraft. Light aircraft and gliders used the runways from 1946 until closure in 1957.
Today the site is used as an activity centre with many of the origional buildings utilised.