Rosyth Dockard is a large naval dockyard in Rosyth, Fife, Scotland, which today primarily undertakes refitting of Royal Navy surface vessels. Rosyth Dockyard is owned by Babcock PLC.
Construction of the dockyard by civil engineers Easton, Gibb & Son commenced in 1909. At the time, the Royal Navy was strengthening its presence along the eastern seaboard of Great Britain due to a naval arms race with Germany.
In 1984 Rosyth was chosen as the sole location for refitting the Royal Navy’s nuclear submarine (a role it was already specialising in), and in 1986 extensive rebuilding commenced to facilitate this new role. However in 1993, in what critics describe as a political move, the Conservative government switched the refitting role to Devonport.
Memories of HM Dockyard Rosyth
(Memories written by members of Forces Reunited)
HM Dockyard Rosyth, far east h m s Laomedon in 1943