Center Col: Unset
Col Margin: Unset
Col Status: Unset
Mouse over button or menu: Unset
Home Btn Pos X (Left), Y (bottom): Unset
Mouse X, Y: Unset

Recommend this page to a friend:




On a mobile device? Try our mobile site

Unit History: RN Air Station Aldergrove

RN Air Station Aldergrove
1918 - 1919 : No.16 Aircraft Acceptance Park, airfield then used for annual air excercises.
1925 - 1941, 502 Sqn equipped with many different bomber types including Vimy, Hyderabad, Wallace, Hind and Whitley, moved to Limavady.
1936 - 1936: 10 Sqn from Andover with Virginia and Heyford bombers.
1936 - 1940 : No. 2 Armament Training Camp, 04/39 became No. 3 Air Observers School.
1939 - 1940 : Royal Navy 774 Sqn with Roc, Skua and Swordfish.
1939 - 1978, No. 23 Maintenance Unit handling many different aircraft types.
1940 - 1941 : 245 Sqn Hurricanes from Turnhouse, moved to Ballyhalbert.
1940 - 1945 :Used by many Coastal Command Squadrons on anti-submarine and met patrols.
1944 - 1945 : No. 1 Heavy Conversion Unit with Fortress, Halifax and Liberators.
1945 - 1964 : 518 Sqn met flights with Halifax then Hastings.
1948 - 1951 : 224 Sqn met flights with Halifax then Hastings.
1946 - 1957 : 502 Sqn with Spitfires and Vampires.
1952 - 1959 : 120 Shackletons, moved to Kinloss.
1960 - 1962 : 118 Sqn with Sycamore helicopters. 1963, RAF Aldergrove became Belfast airport.
2

Active From: 1918 - 1963

One moment...