On a mobile device? Try our mobile site
Unit History: Department of the Master-General of the Ordnance
The Master-General of the Ordnance was responsible for British artillery, engineers, fortifications and military supplies. In 1784, it established the British standard ordnance weights and measurements for the artillery. Before it was abolished in 1855, the Board of Ordnance was based in the Tower of London. Although the position 'Master-General of the Ordnance' does not have the same level of importance nowadays, it does, however, oversee research and development within the British Army.
Active From: 1544 - Present